Friday, December 20, 2013

Crafting under pressure ...





I have never been one to procrastinate (I can't handle the stress), but something about the holiday crunch brings out the crafty mama in me. It could be the caffeine overload (my little "reward" for being a good holiday elf is a hazelnut latté) or it could be the barrage of holiday music pulsating through my brain or it could be chocolate-induce mania, but I've crossed a threshold and am blazing a trail through patchwork, wool draped, paint splattered Neverland of holiday gift making. 

To give an accurate idea of the extent of my mania ... I came home the other day and found myself with a couple of hours on my hands.  I ask you: what else do you do when you find yourself with a window of unclaimed time?  Sew an apron, right?






Reading the Little House Books to Cowgirl, I was seized by this idea that an apron would be just the thing for holiday 2013 (if it was good enough for prairie 1885, it is still in style now, mais non?) The above photo crops out the pile of holiday crap cards waiting for me to address them (right hand corner) and the photo album with pictures stacked off to the side (under the plastic bag) and the clutter of journals and paint supplies left waiting for that perfect day ... But all of that was easily pushed to the side so I could use the corner of the table to cut fabric. (And yes, I am a dare-devil who cuts fabric on top of a table cloth without cutting board or ruler which might explain the lack of straight edges in my sewing projects.) 





it's lined!  i know - i am that kind of crazy!




The next morning I awoke with presents to take to the post office, but not before adding an embroidered bookmark to one package. (Full disclosure: I have sitting on my sewing tray an piece of embroider that has been in process since last Spring.)






As the knitting needles rest empty, I had to cast on a hat project for Cowgirl's stocking ...






And today I bought more wool for another holiday gift which I am conceding will be a New Year's gift.  (Along with another sewing project I have in mind. I mean, hey - the fabric is out from the basement and ready to be used!)

Even Cowgirl has gotten in on the crafty holiday spirit.






 








Happy elves are we.  Happy holidays to you all!  I'll see you when the weather thaws and the wool is gone.  xo






I totally blame these two women for my madness.
 

3 comments:

  1. I love your craftiness! I got the bug to bake this past week. I am wondering if I have gone mad. Yet, why cannot one extend the holiday season into January... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to completely finish a promised sweater either...I ran out of wool and more will not be available until the new year. Love these colourful snowflakes and your blue yarn project. Looks like socks or mitts. Happy New a Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete