Monday, December 15, 2014

happiness is ...

Finding my way back ...








Appreciative for the detour, but glad to making my way out of the woods' darkness  ...

I am grateful for the lessons and inspiration of Katherine Dunn, especially her offering Capturing the Essence. One lesson there was to explore a memory of loss, and painting the passing of my mother has been an important stage in my grief.  I painted the above piece with her wearing her Cowgirl garb.  My sense - my hope? - is that she is reconnecting with the parts of herself lost over the years.  As she is reunited with her loved ones, I envision her being reunited with her full self.  I can't help but think of the lyrics Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars ... (HERE is an amazing cover by an 8 year-old Norwegian singer)

I finally made my way back to this piece ... 


 



My study of Van Gogh's portrait of the Postmaster Roulin


Looking forward to continuing with Studying Under the Masters ... it took me 2 months to work through week one's content and there are six weeks total.  So I have months of painting play to look forward to as Winter's cold embrace settles in for a stay. 

Happiness is:  a paint brush and ideas/emotions I am ready to explore

1 comment:

  1. (((( Lisa )))) you are in my thoughts especially during this time. With each brush stroke, your art becomes better and better and you started as an excellent artist! Thank you for always inspiring me to keep going even in the darkness.
    love and light to you xo
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete