Tuesday, July 10, 2012

excuse me, i've got painting fever ...


... and I am a little obsessed by Ganesha right now.  Actually, on the basis of this one little guy (from my 49 by 49 series)







I've been invited to contribute artwork to a show at the yoga center where I teachI'm not sure they were expecting this herd of elephant-headed gods to show up but, well, I just can't seem to stop myself.  













This guy just can't make up his mind on what he wants to wear for the event: purple? green? blue?
















Fortunately for Ganesha I've been immersed in Flora Bowley's incredible online course Bloom True.  Even though I took a two day workshop with Flora in April, the 5-week course has given me a chance to dive into the practices, allowing time to let things sink in.  It is so much more than mere pigment on canvas: it is about uncovering your inspiring life, being bold and brave, playful and trusting in yourself and in the notion of discovery and process. 














As you can see, I'm rolling in paint and canvas and elephants.  I just can't stop myself!









 





So excuse me if I am quiet for a bit ... I have a little over a week left to figure out who these paintings want to be.  As if this moment, I consider them still in-progress.  We have a lot more to discover about each other.





 






 I mean, I can't leave anyone behind?!  Ganesha just keeps on manifesting ...




these Ganesha babies are 6 by 6 inch gesso board pieces and will be mounted on larger panels separately.  maybe ...



... he is the god of new beginnings and he keeps asking for another close-up moment.  I must oblige.


Om Ganapataye Namo Namah Om Ganapataye Namo Namah Om Ganapataye Namo Namah Om Ganapataye Namo Namah Om Ganapataye Namo Namah Om Ganapataye Namo Namah

(I love this explanation of the Ganesha mantra: This mantra removes all evil and obstacles that prevent you from reaching your goals.  Chanting the mantra just after bath is very good or very early morning isextremely beneficial. My favorite chant to Ganesha is by Bhagavan Das which has the great line "you have a big fat red belly ..."  I hear this song and that belly keeps me painting on and on and on ...)

6 comments:

  1. Omgeeeeee!!!! I am desperately in love with your big belly elephant headed friend. I remember you invoked him on my behalf before we got this house....so he's got a special place in my heart. Oh - and you are a shameless temptress - I got your love-bomb in the mail the other day and it tipped me over my waffling edge -- I have a date with F.B in September .

    Wishing you abundance in paint....I think it no small coincidence that the G-Man is dancing thru your life right now.

    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIS.... holy guacamole woman! At first I thought my favorite was the one with your beautifully painted blue toes... but then the pictures just kept increasing in power. ((((THIS is an awesome work of power))))... I don't know if the folks who asked you to do this even realized what they were going to get - but it's stunning, even in these stages.♥ Good luck my friend. I know these works will be cherished deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ganesha, pink, purple, and green headed beauties!!! What a magnificent manifestation on canvas and panel! I am so in love w these! Makes me want to pay homage to Ganesha myself! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lis,

    I really love this post. A short while ago I was told I need to start working with Ganesha. I have started to see Ganesha on several different blogs that I read. Maybe I need to start painting him but then it could get out of control couldn't it. Oh well, I loved seeing all your portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lis, these are fabulous. they are exploding with....what? ....joy, wisdom, energy, growth, love? all of the above? really beautiful and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lis
    these are beautiful
    the colours
    the imagery
    so inspiring

    keep up the great work
    love and light

    ReplyDelete