Friday, February 26, 2010

Storm advisory posted

Italic

I:30 Perception of our true nature is often obscured by physical, mental, and emotional imbalances.

I:31 These imbalances can promote restlessness, uneven breathing, worry, and loss of hope.

I:32 These imbalances can be prevented from engaging by developing loyalty to a sacred practice.

I:34 Slow, easeful exhalations can be used to restore and preserve balance.

I:39 Or dedicate yourself to anything that elevates and embraces your heart.

(The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, as interpreted by Nischala Joy Devi in The Secret Power of Yoga)






If emotions are like the weather,

Then an early tornado season

Has appeared in my

Seven day outlook


Morning start off

Clear skies

Fluffy clouds

Still and calm

But as my day proceeds

Hot winds arrive

Stirring things up

Making for volatility

In emotional patterns





Dark clouds move in

The air becomes electric

The absence of bird song

Augurs dangerous storm cells

coming


And even though I know

I am in a precarious state of mind

Still it is shocking

How quickly skies turn

Blue to black to a

Sickly green

Sirens breaking my spell

Shocking me into the realization

That all is not well


In tornado weather

One needs to be on the ready

To find safe shelter

At any given time

Basements

Secured rooms

Spaces away from breakable glass

And objects that can shatter

And be sent flying






I have learned

Not to deny my stormy patterns

And to acknowledge

They are a powerful force

That need be respected

And given ample space

To vent its energy


Painful to live through,

To berate myself for my seasons of

Storminess

Does nothing to ease the

Discomfort

Nor change the necessity

For release of whatever

Seems to build up


It is just energy

The byproduct

Of growth, change,

Pushing myself towards

The edges of what is possible


I try not to despair

For overwhelming as the winds may feel,

Within the context of seasons

I know these storms represent

My struggle to transcend

To a new level

And integration isn’t always smooth,

Some things need be surrendered

So that peace and understanding

Can flow in


I try to remember this

While retreating to my internal basement

Covering up

Holding on

And making sure the ones I love

Are safely secured

Away from any threat of damage

My storms may bring


And so I practice

Patience and trust

Hanging on

With fingers cramping

Nerves frayed

Knowing the prize that awaits

Me if I can endure:


A radiant sky,

Clear vision,

A fresh outlook,

As the charge of possibility

And new beginnings

That always fills the air

After any storm.




4 comments:

  1. Brilliance and forgiving clarity shines from these words. I hope you stay gentle with yourself as you experience your passionate not-this-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful writing, I could feel all those things as you spoke them, knowing exactly that pent-up energy needing to be released. What clarity of vision these words were, visceral and open.

    Thanks for your comments today too. What nice things
    you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words and photos Lis...

    Just wanted to let you know that I left you A Beautiful Blogger Award if you would like to pop over and pick it up at:

    http://marjean-gettingbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2010/02/for-me.html

    ReplyDelete