Friday, May 7, 2010

Art-filled Friday (and a little yoga practice)


From the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali:

1.30 - Perception of our true nature is often obscured by physical, mental, and emotional imbalances.

1.31 - These imbalances can be prevented from engaging by developing loyalty to a sacred practice.

1.34 - Slow, easeful exhalations can be used to restore and preserve balance.

1.35 - Or engage the focus on an inspiring object.

1.39 Or dedicate yourself to anything that elevate and embraces your heart.

(Translation by Niscala Joy Devi, The Secret Power of Yoga)

Here is my interpretation of these sutras. I can honestly say, I am feeling pretty centered and inspired right now, so I would highly recommend these practices. Enjoy!

My sacred practice:








An inspiring object:






What captures and embraces my heart:








What elevates my heart and spirit:





How do you plan to find balance and joy this weekend?

10 comments:

  1. Your art is so joyful! I love it! Thanks for sharing the sutras....my yoga practice is becoming more and more important to me. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shot of your space is so inspring! Love your journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yoga sutras. I finally found a new yoga studio and it is so great.
    Wednesday we practiced SO much breathing it felt wonderful. Your studio
    space is so much neater than mine, looks like you are busy busy. And all your photos of cowgirl just shine. What would life be like without Mr. Potato Head (and Mrs too). Happy Mother's Day. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Love the mermaid and your face behind Mr. Potato head. CLASSIC!

    I just got home from my appearance in "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead." I was so crabby when I got there, but balanced in the dressing room having a ridiculous conversation with my cast mates. I slept this afternoon, so I couldn't style my hair in its mass of curls so I look rather nice right now - the children are sleeping, Katherine is working in her room so I am going to further balance myself by taking myself out *gasp* for a quiet, late night supper.

    I am very excited.

    I have a busy Saturday and a not so busy Sunday planned, which is grand. I plan to receive a lot of love from my kidlets this weekend. That's just about all I plan.

    Which feels just right.

    HUGS! to you all!

    See My Latest Artistic Mother post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these photos are beautiful...love your art...xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the sutras. Yoga is such an incredible part of my life. I always feel so much better after a class. I love your art. Thank you for sharing it with me.

    PS I hope you don't mind I quoted you today in my blog with a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Your posts always make me smile. And nudge me in the right direction... like... towards my meditation room for my yoga practice right NOW. Thanks. And Happy Mother's Day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breathing in and breathing out and not planning and just being and going where the day takes me!

    Happy Mother's Day to you. Miss Potato Head, you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! what a beautiful, heartfelt way of interpreting the sutras into your own real experience. I love that!!! my weekend is almost over, but I think I'm going to find balance and joy by to visiting my grandmother with my mom and keep my heart open....happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lis!
    Great pictures! I love getting to see what your real world looks like! I am really enjoying all of your great comments in class!

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete